Monday, November 8, 2010

Method 9

1.If you have a Gmail account (Google’s email account), a Yahoo email account, a Hotmail account or a similar account that has chat built into it, log into your account and explore the chat feature by identifying someone from your contact list that is online and initiating a chat with them. If you are having trouble finding someone from your contact list to chat with, find a friend or colleague that you know has a similar account and set up a time to chat with them.

2.In your “Method 9″ blog post, tell us about your chat experience. How did it go? Did you find it easy or difficult? Also, what do you think about chat/IM and libraries? Is your library currently offering chat/IM and if not, do you think it might in the future?


I've used Yahoo Messenger and MSN messenger before. I haven't tried Google Talk yet. I like the MSN messenger because I think it looks cleaner. I also am not fond of Yahoo's smilies. The layout on both programs is simple and intuitive. There is no difference between the reliability of each program. Both programs have always worked well and efficiently for me in the past. I think it's easy to use a chat program but I have been doing so for several years, so it's nothing new to me. Using chats may cause a little confusion for someone who has never done it before, but I would imagine almost anyone could pick up on it easily. Chat programs are usually self-explanatory.

Chat and IM programs are yet another resource libraries can use to reach out to the general public. It's a simple tool that can easily be added to a page, like Meebo, or it can be used in conjunction with a larger program like Google. It is a way to interact online with patrons. It can help them quickly find the information they need.

Our library system uses chat and IM programs to interact with the general public. Patrons can get immediate live help with their questions by clicking on a button on the front page.

No comments:

Post a Comment