Friday, October 29, 2010

Method 7

7.Create a “Method 7″ blog post about your experience and thoughts about this tool. Can you see the potential of this tool for use by libraries/librarians? Or do you think it is just as an easy way to create bookmarks that can be accessed from anywhere?

I have heard about Delicious over the past few years and have seen the buttons around the web, although I never took time to investigate what Delicious was all about. I now have a better understanding of what it is and what it can do.

I think sites like Delicious could be helpful for organization and I like the sharing aspect of the site. It's also good that the links are not connected to just one computer, but can be accessed from anywhere. When I change computers, I usually just leave my bookmarks behind and start again.

I can see how a site like this could carve a niche of users and would keep the users' interest over the course of the first few months. The site would be a good way to collect information and share information, but it only works with consistent user participation. I have seen several pages where a user began posting links, only to stop a few months later or they have hundreds of links without tags. It becomes less useful when tags aren't added.

The libraries involved with Delicious have useful links and have kept up with the accounts. These accounts can be a good resource for patrons. Instead of hunting for the information, patrons at Thunder Bay can click on a tag and be taken to the relevant links immediately. Sites like Delicious make it possible to provide relevant links quickly. Delicious is a good resource to know about, but I don't believe it will be a permanent way to collect links. I think it has a shelf-life, but it is good to use while it is still popular.

No comments:

Post a Comment