Thursday, October 28, 2010

Method 6

1.Explore YouTube or TeacherTube and find a video worth adding as an entry in your blog.

2.Create a blog post about your experience titled “Method 6″. What did you like or dislike about the site and why did you choose the video that you did? Can you see any features or components of the site that might be interesting if they were applied to library websites?


Air of Love - Jenny Berggren

I chose this video because it's one of my favorite songs and I use YouTube a lot to find songs, lyrics, and new artists. I don't spend too much time on the site watching TV shows or videos created by people. I do, however, use it to watch music videos, see concerts, and find new music.

I have been using YouTube for several years and have uploaded my own videos to the site, so I know it's a relatively easy process. I enjoy the amount of videos and depth of content available. I have been able to find many relatively obscure songs and artists on the site, which would not have been possible on any other site. There have been many times where YouTube has been the only source of a song or clip from an artist.

I use YouTube primarily for music, but I have used YouTube for more than just songs. I've also used it to find practical information like product reviews and travel information.

I think the search feature works very well. I usually find what I'm looking for on the first few hits. I don't like the time restrictions on uploads. Videos cannot be too long and this restriction has given me a little trouble in the past when uploading. I also have found that uploading doesn't work well much of the time. I've had many uploads fail or take a long time to get through the system.

I think YouTube can be used to create promotional clips of the library. Programs can be recorded and shared online. Clips can be created to provide information on public library procedures, such as a video for new patrons or a video to explain printing and computer use.

Clips can also be made just for fun. I've seen several clips on YouTube involving libraries that are both informative and fun. YouTube clips could be directed toward their target audience by being posted on the library's website, Facebook page and Twitter feed.

Most videos posted on YouTube don't receive many hits, but by using other social media tools, a library can direct the clip to users who would be interested in watching and learning more about the library they frequent.

No comments:

Post a Comment